Only a few miles from the Missouri, settlers arrived in southeastern Cass County as early as 1855. The cluster of houses called "Stringtown," located on the east side of Weeping Water Creek in the 1880s, was the forerunner of Union.
In 1887, when the Missouri Pacific Railroad began surveying for a rail line from Nebraska City to Lincoln, G. A. Rose saw the potential for business, so built a store. A siding added to the excitement felt in the area. The following year several of the small inland post offices consolidated into one, called "Pleasant Grove" by the residents, was moved to an office at the rail center by Postmaster Robert Frans.
In 1890, when the enterprising MP started laying a line northward to Omaha, the village of "Union" was established. It was this junction or "union of the two rail lines" that gave our town its name. (The references in Perkey's book on names are entirely for another place and another reason.)
In 1892 the Cass County commissioners approved the organization of a village, with trustees Rose, John Kennedy, Hirum Dubois, R.A. Fleming, and Frank Tenny. By 1893 eight passenger trains passed through Union daily with a round trip ticket to Omaha costing $.80. With easy access and the many daily freight trains, Union became a busy shipping point for area farmers to the larger grain and livestock markets. It is a certainty that the growth and permanence of the town at that time, as well as today, is due to the stable elevator system that has been in operation over the years.
Thriving businesses soon lined the kerosene-lighted dirt streets. Lamplighter Walker Jones made the evening rounds with ladder and torch. There were three general stores, a furniture and hardware store (with an undertaking sideline), a stationery and drug store, and a harness shop. The ill and ailing were cared for by Dr. Wallace. A.R. Eikenbary was the cashier of the Union Bank, and Josie Pittman ran the millinery shop that made hand-crafted "lovelies" for the ladies. G.N. LaRue was the village blacksmith, while Leach and Peck Livery Stables cared for the livestock while customers shopped. Two large grain elevators were built, and a lumberyard filled with choice building materials did a thriving business. The first newspaper, "The Union Ledger," was started in 1888 by William Todd. He soon sold his shop, which consisted of an old discarded Civil War army press, to C.L. Graves, who then edited the paper for many years.
The contract for building a schoolhouse was let to D.W. Foster in 1889 at a cost of $2,747. That building burned in 1912 and was replaced with a large brick structure in time for the fall term. Sports were always popular in Union's school. In 1907 the girls basketball team were "state champions." The Union district merged with the Nebraska City school system in 1956. The building now sits sad and lonely for those who remember it "back then." To attest to the place it held in our hearts is the growing attendance at the annual alumni banquet each June, when former students from near and far return to show their love for the pleasant memories of their childhood.
The Old Settlers Picnic, a big event in the early days, was held for the first time in 1889. There were parades, oratories, and music. Barbecued beef and pork, cooked by William Ellington of Rock Bluff (first sheriff of Cass County) made the day. Soon it became a two-day celebration, bringing people from a wide area.
Union boasted of three churches at one time -- Methodist, Baptist, and Cumberland Presbyterian. Of these the United Methodist and Baptist remain to care for the spiritual needs of the community.
The business section of Union has been rebuilt a half-dozen times because of first one, and then another fire. Severe flooding has also plagued the town more times than one cares to remember, as nearby Weeping Water Creek overflows its banks easily.
Union's centennial celebration was held in 1987 and great numbers of former residents came to enjoy "reminiscing our past and planning a future." As a result of that event, a group was formed calling itself "P.R.O.U.D." (Premature Rumors of Union's Demise) to make certain our town remains a viable entity.
Our prayer is that another 100 years be granted to our town, Union, and good leadership skills to those who will be entrusted with her future.
By Ruth Stine, 2018 Nehawka Road, Union, NE 68455.
Students of Factoryville School
Cass Co. Nebraska.
This data taken from an inscription under a picture of about 30 children in front of the Factoryville School. Since Factoryville began to die as a town when Union began to rise, it can be assumed that these children were in school before the 1890s. Teacher: Rose O'Donnel
Children in Factoryville School (date unknown):
All of the above students' pictures may be seen in a booklet at the Cass County Historical Society. Title: A Collection of Pictures and Stories of Union, Nebraska By: Larry Cook -1967
Areal Photos of Union (1970's?)
These photos were found by Vicki Gegzna and were mailed to us to share with the community of Union, NE
Credits go to Vicki's parents Robert and Phyllis Bauerkemper Sr.
Vicki thinks the farm in one of the aerials belonged to Ethel and Al Francl at the time. They were friends of her grandparents. The story was they owned land that is now Beaver Lake, NE and the Beaver Lake land was traded for 250 acres in Union. If you have any of historic photos you can share you can scan them and email to email@example.com to post on this website or request mailing address to send them via USPS post.